What is the current situation?
Public health officials have reported that mosquitoes in Maldives are infected with Zika virus and are spreading it to people.
Because Zika virus is primarily spread by mosquitoes, CDC recommends that travelers to Maldives protect themselves from mosquito bites.
Zika Virus in Pregnancy
A pregnant woman can pass Zika virus to her fetus. Infection during pregnancy can cause serious birth defects. CDC recommends special precautions for the following groups:
- Women who are pregnant:
- Should not travel to Maldives.
- If you must travel, talk to your doctor first and strictly follow steps to prevent mosquito bites during your trip.
- Because Zika can also be spread by sex, if you have a partner who lives in or has traveled to Maldives, either use condoms or do not have sex (vaginal, anal, or oral) or share sex toys during your pregnancy.
- Women who are trying to become pregnant:
- Before you or your partner travel, talk to your doctor about your plans to become pregnant and the risk of Zika virus infection.
- See CDC guidance for how long you should wait to get pregnant after travel to Maldives.
- If you have traveled to Maldives and have a pregnant partner, use condoms or don’t have sex (vaginal, anal, or oral) or share sex toys during the pregnancy.
Sexual transmission of Zika virus is also possible, so you should use condoms or not have sex during your trip.
Many people infected with Zika virus do not get sick. Among those who do develop symptoms, sickness is usually mild, with symptoms that last for several days to a week. Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) is a rare disorder that can cause muscle weakness and paralysis for a few weeks to several months. CDC research suggests that GBS is strongly associated with Zika; however, only a small proportion of people with recent Zika virus infection get GBS. Most people fully recover from GBS, but some have permanent damage. For more information, see Zika and GBS.
As more information becomes available, this travel notice will be updated. Please check back frequently for the most up-to-date recommendations.
Full details are available from the link below:
Source URL: Bing News :