The police have warned that the opposition alliance will not be allowed to stage an anti-government demonstration in Malé as planned on Monday.
Briefing the press late Sunday afternoon, Superintendent Ahmed Shifan said opposition leaders from the four-party coalition would have to bear responsibility for any unlawful gathering.
“As the area chosen and announced by the joint political parties for tomorrow’s gathering is a traffic-heavy zone in Malé and close to important state institutions, schools, and hospitals, this service will not allow any gathering that could disrupt traffic in the area and affect the private lives of people living in the neighbourhood,” he said.
“Moreover, the police appeal to all citizens at this opportunity not to participate in any illegal activities or join activities carried out by politicians for their political benefit.”
The constitution guarantees the right to protest without prior permission from the state. However, the 2013 Freedom of Assembly Act was changed in August last year to restrict protests and gatherings in the capital to areas designated by the home ministry, which later picked the carnival area in Malé’s eastern waterfront.
The amended law requires written permission from the police to gather in areas.
Since its bid to wrest control of the parliament was foiled after four lawmakers were contentiously stripped of their seats, the opposition alliance has been urging supporters from across the country to converge on the capital and gather outside the Maldivian Democratic Party office at 9 am.
“Everyone come to Malé on July 24 to assure a system of government with separation of powers,” tweeted former President Mohamed Nasheed, who has been living in exile in the United Kingdom since he was authorised medical leave from prison in January last year.
Baaruthah vakivefaivaa verikamuge nizaameh kashavaru kurumah hurihaa beyfulhunves 24 July ga Male’ ah vadaigannavaa! pic.twitter.com/VurzKqPfTW
— Mohamed Nasheed (@MohamedNasheed) July 22, 2017
A no-confidence vote against Speaker Abdulla Maseeh Mohamed was due to take place on July 24, but the motion was thrown out after the disqualification of four ex-ruling party lawmakers deemed to have fallen foul of a new anti-defection rule imposed by the Supreme Court.
The speaker has meanwhile decided that the next Majlis sitting will take place on July 31, citing security arrangements ahead of activities planned to mark Independence Day on July 26,
Parliament sittings have been suspended since the opposition submitted the second motion with 45 signatures from the 85-member house, prompting the Attorney General to seek the anti-defection ruling after the dramatic collapse of the pro-government majority.
The last major gathering was a three-day protest by the MDP in November 2015.
On Friday, MP Ali Azim, Adhaalath Party spokesman Ali Zahir and two others were arrested after the police used pepper spray to disperse opposition supporters outside the MDP meeting hall.
Voting was taking place inside the premises for the MDP’s youth wing leadership posts when police officers barged in and forced several people out. The riot police officers also cordoned off the area and blocked voters from entering the meeting hall.
The police later told local media that it was unaware of the internal election.
The Maldives Broadcasting Commission, which has imposed hefty fines on the opposition-aligned Raajje TV, has meanwhile warned that action will be taken against TV stations that telecast unlawful gatherings.
Broadcasters must bear full responsibility for any legal issues arising from promoting or telecasting such gatherings, the commission said in a circular issued on Sunday.
The commission has been receiving complaints about content alleged to incite unrest and encourage the illegal overthrow of the government, it added.
“This includes spreading misleading news, presenting speeches from various people that bring state powers and institutions into disrepute, and broadcasting content that creates hatred among the public towards those institutions,” reads the circular.
Last month, the broadcasting regulator fined the country’s main cable television provider MVR500,000 (US$32,425) for rebroadcasting an Al Jazeera corruption exposé in September.
The ‘Stealing Paradise’ documentary, which exposed systemic corruption, abuse of power and criminal activity at the highest level of government, was deemed to pose a threat to national security.
Full details are available from the link below:
Source URL: Maldives Independent