“Mihaaru Awards”, the new sports awards launched by Mihaaru newspaper last year, will be held this coming Saturday night.
An official of Mihaaru stated that the colourful ceremony will be held at Paradise Island Resort with entertainment.
“Celebrating the efforts and struggles athletes pour out on their fields throughout the year is vital to advance the sport,” he said. “Mihaaru Awards was launched for that purpose.”
Promising a vibrant evening for the athletes, the official added that the judges have finalized the results. “We’re in the final stages of preparation.”
Mihaaru Awards, which hails the achievements of sportspeople, coaches, referees and other contributors to local sports, consists of the categories football, volleyball and individual sports such as athletics, table tennis, swimming and badminton. This marks the first sports awards that include individual sports to be launched in the Maldives.
“With this beginning, every year of local sports will end with a colourful night of joy and impeccable awards. With the birth of new stars and new names. With lessons learned from veterans of the past.”
Mihaaru Awards will present accolades for 24 categories, thus making it the largest sports award in the Maldives. These awards include:
- Golden Boot – top scorer during the year’s football season
- Football Player of the Year – including two runners-up
- Most Promising Football Player – the top player under 21 years
- Volleyball Player of the Year – including two runners-up for Men’s and Women’s
- Most Promising Volleyball Player – the top player under 21 years for Men’s and Women’s
- Individual Sports Awards – combining athletics, swimming, table tennis and badminton, the awards include first place and two runners-up for Men’s and Women’s
- Special Recognition Awards – for achievements in international competitions
- Mohamed Zahir Naseer Award – the Lifetime Achievement Award, in honour of the late Mohamed Zahir Naseer who contributed to Maldivian sports for 50 years
The main sponsors of Mihaaru Awards are telecom giant Ooredoo Maldives and Allied Insurance. The awards’ media partner is “V Media”, while Think Advertising is its advertising partner. Associate partners of the awards include Sonee Sports, Total Fitness Group (TFG), Veligaa Hardware, BHM and Print Lab.
Full details are available at the link below:
Source URL: Mihaaru-News