Maldives records its first COVID-19 related death; total positive cases rise to 468
Maldives recorded its first COVID-19 related death while a whopping 179 people were tested positive on Thursday bringing the total number of cases to 468.
An 83-year-old woman, passed away of health complications as test results came positive for Covid-19 after her death.
Six persons are in ICU receiving treatment while others have been isolated and kept under observation.
Among those tested positive on Thursday are 133 Bangladeshi nationals and 32 Indian nationals.
Bangladeshi nationals who have tested positive for the disease, make up more than half of the total cases in the Maldives.
Expatriate workers mainly from Bangladesh, live in cramped and inadequate living quarters and are identified as being at high risk of contracting the disease.
National Emergency Operations Center (NEOC) spokesperson Mabrook Azeez said that 95 cases were confirmed from the same location.
He said that a total of 23 such living quarters are currently being monitored and that there are over a thousand people residing in these households.
Both local and international human rights group had previously expressed concern over the ‘inhuman treatment’ of migrant workers in the Maldives.
Full details are available at the link below:
Source URL: Bing News :