Politics

Maldives opposition face crackdown after failed bid – The New Indian Express

COLOMBO: Opposition parties in the Maldives accused the government Friday of waging a revenge campaign against their leaders after they narrowly failed to seize control of parliament.

Mohamed Nasheed, the leader of the main opposition party, was slapped with fresh terrorism charges this week just days after he remotely lead an effort to wrestle control of parliament.

The bid failed after President Abdulla Yameen ordered troops to remove the dissenting MPs from the floor of parliament, causing chaotic scenes.

Nasheed, the head of the Maldivian Democratic Party, was sentenced to 13 years prison in 2015 and has been living in self-imposed exile in London since last year.

“President (Abdulla) Yameen has instigated new charges of terrorism against Nasheed,” the joint opposition statement said.

The charges stemmed from when Yameen was briefly detained in 2010 allegedly under orders from Nasheed, who was president at the time.

The opposition said several others who support Nasheed’s bid to oust the speaker had been intimidated by police in the days since.

The Maldivian government warned the international community against being swayed by opposition forces.

“I urge the wider international community to clearly observe the intricacies of the laws of the Maldives before rushing to judgement,” the government quoted fisheries minister Mohamed Shainee as saying.

The United States urged Male to “restore faith in democratic processes” after the unruly scenes of soldiers dragging away opposition MPs was circulating widely on social media.

Full details are available from the link below:

Source URL: Google News

Related:   5 facts about Maldives you should know

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz