The Attorney General’s Office has launched a campaign aimed at creating public awareness on the Criminal Procedure Code.
The campaign, focused on acquainting the public with the Criminal Procedure Code that came into effect July last year, is a collaborative effort by the AG Office and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
At a ceremony held at Hotel Jen on Wednesday the Attorney General, Mohammed Anil, launched the campaign that is planned to continue countrywide until the end of March. An information pack about the Criminal Procedure Code was also presented at the ceremony, which includes a booklet that describes the procedures in the Criminal Justice System with the rights available and the role of institutions when implementing the law. It also includes tutorials on the code and awareness posters.
All state institutions and implementing authorities will share the information pack with their staff and on social media platforms, targeting to reach a wide audience, while the official media partners will also share the information weekly. Mihaaru is the campaign’s online media partner along with Public Service Media (PSM) and Channel 13.
Awareness efforts conducted so far include:
- December 2016: Establishment of a steering committee that represents five state authorities and UNDP.
- January 2017: The steering committee compile and share a manual on conducting trainings to familiarize with the Criminal Procedure Code.
- February 2017: Under Phase One, 54 personnel are trained, which includes trainees from the Prosecutor General’s Office, Human Rights Commission, Anti-Corruption Commission, National Integrity Commission, Maldives Inland Revenue Authority and Maldives Customs Service.
- April 2017: Anti-Corruption Commission reform and implement its general regulations in accordance with the Criminal Procedure Code.
- July 2017: Six papers on the Criminal Procedure Code are made public by the Legal Sector Reform Center at the Attorney General’s Office.
- October 2017: The regulations on procedure of prosecution and the procedure on the state providing attorneys for those with financial limitations were made public and brought into effect.
- November 2017: Specialized trainings were conducted for relevant authorities by the Attorney General’s Office with the assistance of UNDP.
- January 2018: Awareness campaign launched.
The Criminal Procedure Code, which brought a huge change to the Criminal Justice System, was compiled after numerous efforts. It specifies in detail the procedures to be followed in investigations, detentions, interrogations, arrests, and in pressing charges and conducting trials.
Full details are available at the link below:
Source URL: Mihaaru-News