Diplomacy Health Politics Society & Culture

Maldives is winning the fight against coronavirus

(The picture at the top shows Chinese envoy Zhang Lizhong with Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid)

MALE, March 31 (Xinhua) — Maldives has seen an overall reduction of COVID-19 cases, with more patients recovering than new ones being confirmed amid stringent precautionary measures taken by the government. And China is helping the Maldives fight the virus.

Maldives has 17 confirmed cases of COVID-19, out of which 13 patients have made a full recovery, According to the latest data from the Ministry of Health. Only one Maldivian citizen has been tested positive for the virus, with the remaining being foreign workers and tourists.

According to Health Minister Abdula Ameen, Maldives began preparing for a possible COVID-19 outbreak early by conducting a risk assessment and forming a national response guideline and health emergency coordination committee by late January.

By February, Maldives made arrangements with the World Health Organisation (WHO) to receive 1000 testing kits so that testing for the virus could be conducted locally. Meanwhile, the main airport was fitted with thermal cameras to screen incoming passengers.

Maldives confirmed its first two COVID-19 cases on March 7, as two foreign workers at a resort on the island of Kuredu tested positive for the virus. A temporary lockdown was placed on the island as the government began carrying out more tests.

In the following days, the government took precautions including quarantining several resorts, closing parks and public spaces, disinfecting public transport, postponing the re-opening of schools, suspending political campaigns, halting tourist excursions, and banning guesthouses from checking-in foreigners in Greater Male.

On March 12, shortly after the World Health Organisation categorized COVID-19 as a pandemic, Maldives’ Minister of Heath Abdulla Ameen declared a 30-day state of emergency for the first time in the country’s history.

China Begins Aiding Maldives To Fight Virus

The Maldives has received its first shipment of aid, including much-needed epidemic prevention materials, from China to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.

Chinese Ambassador to the Maldives Zhang Lizhong on Friday handed over the aid materials from China’s Yunan provincial government to Maldivian Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid.

At the handover ceremony, Shahid said the Maldives and China would remain united in the fight against the COVID-19.

The foreign minister said later on his official Twitter account “Sincere thanks to the government of Yunnan Province of China for its generous donation of much-needed epidemic prevention materials.”

Chinese Ambassador Zhang said that the aid from Yunan was a symbol of solidarity between China and the Maldives and a gesture towards forging a community of shared future.

“I hope this aid will help the Maldives government in its efforts to fight the pandemic,” the Chinese ambassador said.

The aid shipment from Yunan province included epidemic prevention materials such as medical protective masks, surgical masks, gloves, stethoscopes, goggles and protective suits.

The Maldives has had 17 confirmed cases of the COVID-19 so far.

According to Maldives’ Public Health Act, a State of Public Health Emergency grants the Director-General of Public Health special powers to quarantine individuals suspected of carrying an infectious disease, distribute medicines, close educational institutions, ban public gatherings and impose travel restrictions.

In a statement made on the same day, President Ibrahim Solih said the government was taking effective measures to protect citizens and residents from the virus in accordance with WHO standards. “This is the time to work in unity, with wisdom and consideration, and under the guidance and instructions of health professionals,” Solih said.

On March 15, the government allocated 13.7 million U.S. dollars from its contingency budget to finance precautionary measures against the virus outbreak. The government also decided to reduce 64 million U.S. dollars from state expenses and slash the salaries of parliamentarians by 20 per cent.

By March 21, the government had placed temporary travel bans on individuals arriving from COVID-19 affected countries including China, Iran, Italy, Bangladesh, Spain, Malaysia, Britain, the United States, Sri Lanka, parts of South Korea, France and Germany.

The Maldives stopped issuing visas on-arrival starting from March 27.

Social distancing precautions have been applied to all members of society including politicians and elected officials. On Monday, the Maldives Parliament conducted its sessions via a web conference call and will continue to do so until the outbreak is contained.

The government has so far set up three dedicated clinics for COVID-19 where consultation is free of charge. Additionally, there are a total of 17 isolation facilities and 867 quarantine facilities in the country.

All individuals under quarantine are to be tested for COVID-19 in compliance with the WHO recommendations of testing as many individuals as possible.

WHO representative to Maldives Dr Arvind Mathur has commended the Maldives for its impressive and proactive efforts. In an interview with Maldives state-owned PSM News, Dr Mathur said the government has done well to raise public awareness through press conferences and media.

According to the WHO, Maldives has a population of 428,000 and spends 13 per cent of its GDP on healthcare.

Full details are available at the link below:

Source URL: Google News

Leave a Reply

avatar

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of