A HOTEL worker accused of manslaughter after an Irish tot she was minding drowned in the Maldives has dramatically fled the holiday islands by boat.
Jeanne Manon Moutet, 24, faced negligent manslaughter charges over the death of car magnate Trevor Musgrave and wife Tara’s two-year-old son Max in October 2017.
The French woman had been working in the restaurant of the five-star Huvafen Fushi resort, where the family were staying when she was asked by her bosses to mind Max and his two sisters, aged five and eight.
However, she told French media that at one stage Max managed to slip away and was later found drowned in a swimming pool following a frantic hunt.
Police were called and initially told the media they were treating the death as an accident.
But Moutet was placed under investigation by cops and her passport was confiscated.
She told Le Parisien: “After about a week of investigation, I was made sign documents in Maldivian that I didn’t understand.
“The papers said I was accused of being responsible for the little boy’s death, though I was told that I was only a suspect.
“I didn’t tell my family straight away, as I didn’t know what to say to them.”
The charge of negligent manslaughter carries up to four years in jail under Maldivian law.
After spending seven months on bail in the Maldives, Moutet requested a few days break in the south of the country from the judge overseeing her case.
Her family had managed to smuggle a satellite phone to her and she waited at a port near the capital Male.
There, a boat arrived to pick her up from the islands last August and bring her on a 17-day sail to the French territory of Mayotte.
Authorities issued a wanted poster for Moutet on December 13, declaring: “A manhunt has been called to locate a individual regarding an ongoing investigation by General Investigation Department.
“The individual being sought out by the police is Ms Jeanne Manon Moutet, a French national.
“The Maldives Police Service urges anyone with any information about the whereabouts of Ms Jeanne Manon Moutet to come forward and contact General Investigation Department.”
Authorities there have yet to issue an extradition request to France and it is considered unlikely they will do so.
Moutet has said she will “blame me for the rest of my life”.
She added: “I can no longer go near a toddler without panicking. This has destroyed my life, I’m happy to be in a country where we have rights and freedoms.”
The Musgraves — who formerly lived at the plush K Club — was a well-known socialite couple on the Dublin scene and got married in a star-studded ceremony in August 2011.
They did not speak publicly after the tragedy, but a family friend said they were “devastated” by what had happened.
She told the media at the time: “It’s just every family’s worst nightmare.
“Trevor would have been very well known on the social scene and was a regular in places like Lillie’s Bordello over the years.
“He’s a really outgoing guy, really charming and full of chat — the classic car salesman.
“Tara is a little quieter but did a lot of brilliant work with organisations like the ISPCC, helping them fundraise over the years.
“Everyone’s thoughts and prayers are with them at this time. It’s just unimaginable what they must be going through.”
The family have moved to London in recent years, where they run a luxury global car dealership that specialises in Ferraris, Porsches, Bentleys and Rolls-Royces.
They also have outlets in Europe, Dubai and Hong Kong. Mr Musgrave did not respond to a request for comment from the Irish Sun.
Full details are available at the link below:
Source URL: Bing News :