President Yameen came to power in November 2013. He pledged to work for the welfare of Maldivians and abiding by the constitution. Though nothing like this happened, all his promises were broken when one by one he started hijacking our democratic institutions. Below are 10 instances when Pres. Yameen forgot about his duties towards the nation.
1. Abdulla Yameen is the First President in the history of the Maldives who Imposed state of Emergency twice in Less than two Years.
2. The only Maldivian President who jailed his Political Mentor and his half Brother, Former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom. And also jailed many other opposition leaders including the first Democratically elected President, Mohamed Nasheed.
3. A Mass suspension of 56 lawyers was ordered by him. This was the first attack on Maldivian Judiciary.
4. Ordered the arrest of two Sitting Justice of Supreme Court, merely because their decision was not according to the wish of President Yameen.
5. Yameen Abdul Gayoom is involved in the biggest corruption scandal of Maldives. The MMPRC corruption where Millions of Dollars syphoned by him.
6. The President has changed 2 Vice presidents in less than three years. Maybe they were not able to handle the corruption of Yameen Government well.
7. Amended the Maldivian constitution to sell off the atolls to Saudi King in the name of development.
10. More than 12 MNDF officers have been sacked by him and also barred MNDF from casting their votes.
13. First President in Maldivian history in whose regime the highest number of Ministers, state Ministers and state officials resigned from their office.
Source URL: Maldives Uprising