Diplomacy Politics

FM: No decision yet on cancelling free trade deal

Maldivian administration has not yet made any decision to cancel the bilateral free trade agreement with China, says Maldivian Foreign Minister.

Speaking during a press conference this Thursday morning, Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid refuted reports carried by some media sources that the new administration has cancelled the free trade agreement signed with China in 2017.

The denial contradicts statements by Mohamed Nasheed, former Maldivian President and Leader of ruling Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP), to Reuters earlier this week.

During an interview to Reuters, Nasheed said the free trade agreement with China was a mistake and that the new administration will not allow for the necessary legislation required to enforce the trade deal.

He said a free trade deal between a small island nation and the world’s second-largest economy was one-sided.

Nasheed is an outspoken critic of China and has, on several occasions, accused China of using a debt trap to enslave the Maldives – an allegation denied by the Chinese Embassy in the Maldives.

Full details are available at the link below:

Source URL: Sun.mv

Leave a Reply

avatar

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of