A fire incident that happened at the electricity powerhouse last night in Dhambidhoo of Laamu Atoll has left the island in darkness.
The fire was most likely caused by a short circuit from an engine that was repaired for use yesterday according to the Dhambidhoo Council president Hussain Ashraf. The fire was extinguished soon afterwards but left the island in darkness for the night.
Laamu dhanbidhoo engine geyga alifaan roawe 2 engine beynun nukurewey warah andhaafi. Dhanbidhoo rayyithun kanu andhireega. Awas hahleh hoadha dhehwaa. @TeamFenaka @mohamedwisaam @MoosesSiraj pic.twitter.com/mgSrx2vwk4
— Nitte (@Nittey_AN) August 9, 2019
Ashraf stated that electricity could only be provided after a thorough check of all the power cables to prevent any further incidents. Three engines are used to provide electricity to nearly 120 houses of the island. Ashraf stated that the two remaining engines could barely handle the load of providing power to the island.
The powerhouse of Dhambidhoo is run by Fenaka Corporation.
Full details are available at the link below:
Source URL: Sun.mv