Former Attorney General Dhiyana Saeed and five others have applied to the vacant seat at the Supreme Court.
The vacancy at the country’s top court was left in the wake of the impeachment of former Supreme Court justice Abdulla Didi on August 28.
The deadline for application for the seat expired at noon this Thursday.
- Dhiyana Saeed, former Attorney General
- Mariyam Nihayath, former Deputy Prosecutor General and former Civil Court judge
- Ali Sameer, High Court judge
- Shuaib Hussain Zakariyya, High Court judge
- Mohamed Niyaz, High Court judge
- Hassan Ali, High Court judge
Meanwhile, President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has nominated his own candidate for the vacancy – Drug Court judge Mahaz Ali Zahir.
The President requested the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) for an opinion regarding appointing Mahaz to the Supreme Court this Thursday.
Full details are available at the link below:
Source URL: Sun.mv