The 51 lawmakers who signed the no-confidence motion against Speaker of People’s Majlis, Abdulla Maseeh Mohamed included 14 lawmakers from his own party – Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM).
Those who signed the no-confidence motion include several lawmakers close to President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom, who even took part in the demonstrations following his defeat at the presidential elections.
Those who signed the no-confidence motion include Velidhoo MP Abdulla Yameen Rasheed, Madaveli MP Muaz Mohamed Rasheed, Central Fuvahmulah MP Ali Fazaadh and Billedhdhoo MP Ahmed Mubeen.
PPM lawmakers who signed the no-confidence motion against Maseeh:
- Thulhaadhoo MP Nazim Rashad
- Isdhoo MP Ahmed Rasheed Ibrahim
- Fares-Maathodaa MP Hussain Mohamed Latheef
- Gadhdhoo MP Ahmed Rasheed
- Eydhafushi MP Ahmed Saleem
- Vilufushi MP Riyaz Rasheed
- Biledhdhoo MP Ahmed Mubeen
- Madaveli MP Muaz Mohamed Rasheed
- Baarah MP Ibrahim Sujau
- Velidhoo MP Abdulla Yameen Rasheed
- Maavah MP Ahmed Azhan Fahmy
- Dhaandhoo MP Ahmed Assad
- Guraidhoo MP Hussain Manik Dhon Manik
- Central Fuvahmulah MP Ali Fazaadh
The no-confidence motion submitted to People’s Majlis this Wednesday morning was signed by total 51 lawmakers, excluding the eight lawmakers who are currently in the middle of legal proceedings at Supreme Court over their parliamentary seats.
Maseeh is required to respond to the no-confidence motion against him within the next 14 days. A no-confidence vote will be taken only after he responds.
Lawmakers unsuccessfully submitted no-confidence motions against Maseeh two times in the past. The first attempt failed after a roll call vote, and the second time – PPM lawmakers who signed the motion were dismissed from the party.
Full details are available at the link below:
Source URL: Sun.mv